Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Running!

My diet last year was successful – I am twenty pound lighter than a year ago. As hoped, I run now without shin splints. My new goal is to run a 5K in under 23 minutes in June. Two years ago I ran it in 28 minutes.

I’ve been working on my form, as my footprints show:
No more heel strike. It slowed me down by pushing me back and can cause shin splints and stresses the knee unnecessarily. I was overextending my leg with the mistaken idea that this increased my speed by lengthening my stride. I now lengthen my stride by pushing off harder.
23 minutes is near my highs school cross country times. I want to relive the glory days :), but I don’t have the time anymore for a daily 5-8 mile run. I read that 4 Tabata workouts and a long run every week is as effective for distance runners as traditional training. This workout is sprint 20 seconds, rest for 10 repeated eight times. It’s fast – less than 15 minutes with warm up and changing, but its brutal. I've been doing Tabata workouts 1-2 times a week so my starting conditioning is less than the runners I read about but hopefully that won’t matter.

My starting schedule:
Monday and Tuesday: Tabata workout
Wednesday: Run for over 45 minutes
Friday: Sprint/Form trainingSaturday: 8 x (minute fast, minute rest)

1 comment: